13WMAZ – Towering the Arts Announcement
Thelron Pleas, July 11, 2015
by Katori Hall
OPENING RUN: The Historic Douglass Theatre, 355 Martin Luther King Blvd. Macon, GA 31201
Friday OCTOBER 2, 2015 – 8PM
Saturday OCTOBER 3, 2015 – 7PM
Sunday OCTOBER 4, 2015 – 5PM
In Hoodoo Love, Toulou, a young Black woman has fled the cotton fields with dreams of becoming a renowned blues singer on the famous Beale Street. She quickly falls hard for a blues man, the harmonica-playing, guitar-strumming, itinerant musician, Ace Of Spades who comes and goes without remorse or guilt, openly admitting to having lovers in every town where he plays. In Toulou, he finds a comfort of sorts and a bit of musical inspiration.
Wanting to know what it feels like to have a man stick around for her for once in her life, Toulou seeks the aid of her next-door neighbor, Candylady, who is adept at hoodoo (i.e. voodoo). Toulou literally wants to cast a spell on her man to bind him to her so that she can have a piece of Ace forever. – For mature audiences only! 18 and older| 21 and older in some cases!
CAST: AUDITION INFORMATION
SETTING: A cluster of shacks along a cul-de-sac next to Beale Street. Memphis, Tennessee.
TIME: Great Depression.
CHARACTERS: 2 Female/2 Male
AUDITION DATE: August 6, 2015 @ 7PM, the Historic Douglass Theatre – Macon, GA
- TOULOU- A young black woman who runs away from the cotton fields of Mississippi to the bluesy streets of Memphis. In stature she is tiny, but her presence makes her seem taller than she is. (Young, 18-35, Love Struck, Female)
- ACE OF SPADES – a young, sexy, ramblin’ bluesman with a “behind like a caboose” and hands that can play the blues out any woman’s back. (Young, 18-35, Handsome, Sexually Appealing, Male)
- CANDYLADY – a former slave and the HOODOO Madame of Beale street with a timeless essence, yet with a quick tongue of a youngin’. (Seasoned, 50 and older, Voodoo, Root Worker, female)
- JIB – TOULOU’S older sibling, a born again Christian missionary. (Young, 18-35, Preacher, Male)
*THIS IS A COLD READING AUDITION: You will perform lines/scenes from a script that we provide. You will be given 5 minutes to look over the material before being called to the stage. After your audition, please wait in the lobby. You may be requested for a Call Back after your audition.
CALL BACKS #2: IN THE EVENT A CASTING DECISION CANNOT BE MADE AT THE 1ST AUDITION/CALLBACKS, SELECTED INDIVIDUALS MAY BE ASKED TO COME BACK FOR CALLBACKS, SATURDAY AUGUST 8, 2015 AT 1:00PM. LOCATION: TBA TO SELECTED INDIVIDUALS. (PLEASE CLEAR YOUR SCHEDULE IN CASE OF THIS POSSIBILITY)
REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: (MUST BE ABLE TO ATTEND EVERY REHEARSAL)
1. Rehearsal Starts on/and the week of Monday August 10, 2015 @ 6:15PM
Pre-Rehearsal Meeting/Orientation: (Vicinity Location: West Macon)
1. Monday August 10, 2015 – 6:15PM – 8:15PM
Regular Rehearsal Schedule: (Vicinity Location: West Macon)
1. Wednesdays: 6:15PM – 8:15PM
2. Thursdays: 6:15PM – 9:00PM
3. Saturdays: 12:00PM- 5:00PM
For mature audiences only! 18 and older| 21 and older in some cases!
Director: Thelron Pleas
Stage Manager: Kiddy Redd
Asst. Stage Manager (Props): Bridgette Jones
Asst. Stage Manager II: – (Costumes): Betty Anderson
Scenic Designer: TBD
Lighting Designer: TBD
Technical Director: Butch McCrary
Music Arranger: Christopher Graddick
Musical Director: Issac Gibson
Production Coordinator I: Ann Thomas
Publicity Coordinator: Dr. Thelma Dillard
Season Graphic Designer: Christopher Marcs Designs, http://www.christophermarcsdesign.com/
Producer Level Sponsor – OVERTYME BAR AND GRILL – 2455 Pio Nono Ave Macon, GA 31206
Producer Level Sponsor – LaTrenda’s World for Learning, III – 2550 Rocky Creek Road Macon, GA 31204, 4025 Villa Ave Macon, GA 31204, & 3182 Houston Ave Macon GA 31206.